[yocto] Questions from a greenhorn about build problems

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Thu Oct 20 03:01:06 PDT 2011

On 10/20/2011 03:15 AM, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Hi William,
>
>> I think your probably running a bit ahead of us.
>
> Yes, looks like. :-) Well, my goal is to be able to build a small
> embedded Linux distribution for ARM based SoC boards. Currently we have
> the Beagleboard and the TI 8148 EVM to test, but sooner or later there
> will be another board available.
>
>> Keep in mind that at this point meta-texasinstruments has not been
>> tested with the poky layer stack.  It is a work in progress and is being
>> tested with a layer stack that includes oe-core + meta-oe + meta-angstrom.
>
> Yes. I just tried out and ran into problems, that's what makes a
> developers life challenging. ;-) I really don't mind about problems as
> long as I have hope to fix them.
>
>> It is certainly in scope for meta-ti (new name) to work w/ a stock poky
>> release or snapshot, were just not verified that yet.  As of now our
>> plan includes building and testing the following layer combinations:
>>
>> oe-core + meta-ti
>> oe-core + meta-ti + meta-openembedded + meta-angstrom
>> poky + meta-ti
>> oe-core + meta-ti + meta-openembedded + meta-arago<= TI SDKs
>
> Looks good, even that I faild in playing around with oe-core. One thing
> that made me fail could be the SOCKS problem that I solved now. Maybe I
> give it another test run. Anyway, yocto seems to fit perfectly for my
> needs since its well documented and gave me some success events.

For you or any one else listing I should mention that TI SDKs today are
still based on oe classic.  The layers we use for these are always
publicly available at http://arago-project.org

If you need something that has been tested by TI today, you may want to
look there.  If your willing to work through a few bumps and want to
start on the new baseline then we would be happy to work with you on
poky/oe-core + meta-ti.

We expect meta-ti to have some boards tested to the above layer stacks
in November and most/all boards working by the end of the year.  The
first TI SDKs built from the new structure will be in Q1 2012.

>> I would encourage you to subscribe to our brand spanking new meta-ti
>> mailing list to discuss, monitor and prod.
>
> Ok, I subscribed to that list too.
>
>> I don't think any of this explains why you are having proxy issues and
>> we will let the rest of the thread play out for that.  I just wanted to
>> set your expectations.
>
> That's ok. Looks like the proxy issue is solved and my next obstacle in
> the way to success is called u-boot_git.bb. So far I see that this
> recipe fails during configure because it wants to make with a rule
> "ti8148_evm_config_nand" that is not available in the u-boot sources
> that we currently get from git.denx.de.

Humm,  I need to be careful or I may sound like I know what I am doing.
  However, a quick look[1] makes me think that AM8148 should be using
u-boot_2010.06-psp.

[1]
http://git.angstrom-distribution.org/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/meta-texasinstruments/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot_2010.06-psp.bb

There are few things that could be going wrong.  Why don't you move this
thread to meta-ti and Denys and Koen should be able to help you.