[yocto] Questions from a greenhorn about build problems

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 06:01:29 PDT 2011

On 19/10/2011 13:43, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using yoctoproject since one week now and got the latest
> yocto-1.1/edison-6.0 git tree. I have been able to build core-image-sato
> for the Beagleboard xM rev. A and the image works fine.
>
> Now my next goal is to build an image for the TI 8148 EVM board. Since
> Yocto is based on OE-core I thought it was a good idea to get the
> meta-texasinstruments layer that is listed in the OE wiki:
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex
>
> So I cloned my git tree for meta-texasinstruments from
> git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/meta-texasinstruments
>
> and looked a bit around in that. conf/machine shows a conf for
> c6a814x-evm so I replaced the machine "beagleboard" with "c6a814x-evm"
> in my local conf.
>
> I started `bitbake -k core-image-sato` and after builing around 4100 of
> the 4221 recipes I got an error on a kernel tree from the arago-project
> and from the u-boot compilation. I guess the second error occurs because
> of the first error, so I had a better look at the first error.
>
> The buildstats for this packet show, that fetch failed. I tried to fetch
> the SRC_URL by hand and it worked without any problem. Note: I'm behind
> a firewall, so to clone git://... I need to go over a SOCKS proxy.
> Therefore I created an /etc/gitconfig that works fine and the downloads
> show, that lots of git-repos from the yocto recipes worked without any
> probem, but now those from the meta-texasinstruments layer seem not to
> work. I tried a bit around with bitbake -b -D and saw long commandlines
> with lots of export before.
>
> It exports a GIT_CONFIG which points to
> poky/tmp/sysroots/x86_64linux/usr/etc/gitconfig.
>
> First I replaced this gitconfig with my own gitconfig from /etc, but
> that didn't work. Looking at the file structure there it seems that
> ../sysroots/x86_64linux/ is chroot'ed somehow so I put gitconfig under
> that chroot's /etc and now it seems that fetch is working.
>
> So stupid question: Is there a documentation that explains how that
> build process is working on the machine/script level and why are the
> recipes from yocto behaving different than to the ones that I imported
> with the meta-texasinstruments layer?
>
> Best regards
> Rainer
Hi Rainer,

Welcome to Yocto, I'm pleased you took my advice and are having a bit
more luck than you were with pure openembedded! There is a Wiki article
with some information about building behind a proxy
(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Working_Behind_a_Network_Proxy) this
has been discussed in length recently and lots of changes have come into
place. I am sure someone more knowlegdeable then me will be along soon
but there is lots of discussion on the subject here on the mailing list
and elsewhere.

Cheers,
Jack.