[yocto] about symbol link of library

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Oct 13 08:34:47 PDT 2011

On 10/13/11 4:37 AM, Ni Qingliang wrote:
> hello all.
>
> I have added 2 packages, one is lib, and the other is bin.
>
> the lib will generate 2 files:
> 	libx.so.1.0.1
> 	libx.so -> libx.so.1.0.1
> the latter linked to the other one.
>
> the bin package will link to the libx.so.
>
> compile/install are all OK, but when populate rootfs, I got error:
> error: Failed dependencies:
> | 	libx.so is needed by bin......

I suspect your libx.so.1.0.1 is missing an SONAME.  One should be added to it
that matches the filename of the "real" library.  (It's possible that it has an
soname already, it just doesn't match the filename.)

Once that is done, then the dynamic linker should be able to find it w/o the
libx.so link.

(The links should only ever be used for development.  This is a somewhat common
bug, and a good way to find these problems.)

I'd also suggest we add a sanity check for this condition, so it will be easier
for people to identify in the future.

--Mark