[yocto] RFC: User configurable recipe features

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 11:44:48 PDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 8:55 AM, Darren Hart wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On 10/11/2011 04:49 PM, Tim Bird wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 11:41 AM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>> As part of working on meta-tiny, I've come across a need (want?) to
>>> present users with the ability to select some set of features in a local
>>> configuration file that will impact the build of the image and a set of
>>> recipes.
>>
>> Can you tell me more about meta-tiny?  this is the first I've heard
>> about this (sorry if discussion went by on the mailing list and I
>> missed it), and I'm very interested.
>

> Tim,
>
> I'll be presenting things in more detail at ELCE, Friday @ 3:45 PM in
> the Kepler room. The summary is that I have received a lot of questions
> along the lines of "How small of an image can I build with Yocto?".

I guess yocto needs to define another profile(distro) to really
demonstrate how small it can get. There are other distros based on
oe-core e.g. micro and even slugos where the image sizes are really
small slugos/uclibc image is around 2.7M eglibc based image is 3.5M

> core-image-minimal does a decent job at a small general purpose image,
> but it still has a lot of baggage that a truly size conscious developer
> doesn't need for a custom BSP.
>
> meta-tiny is my experimental layer where I'm looking at what we can
> build with our existing sources and infrastructure. I've found that we
> can cut the image size to about 10% of core-image-minimal without
> changes to source code, but dropping a lot of functionality. We can get
> to something like 20% while still maintaining ipv4 networking.
>
> This "recipe features" thread stems from this work. Before I can
> integrate something like this into Yocto, it needs a more suitable user
> exposed configuration mechanism.

this has a downside. I still favour that distro/machine should be one to
dictate the features which should control recipe feature enable/disable
behavior.