[yocto] QEmu Script Error Checking

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Tue Oct 11 11:02:27 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 08:41 AM, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> I have run into the following issue where the tap device is in use due
> to the QEmu machine unexpectedly crashing. The error I recieve is here:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/5t9U1.png (appologies for the screenshot but it
> wouldn't let me copy the text)
>
> Is there any leaway for more robust error checking or a way to forcibly
> destroy the tap node to allow a new one to be created?

Hi Jack,

Since qemu is being run from a parent shell script (runqemu), if qemu
were to crash, I would think the parent shell script would continue on
and destroy the tap device normally. Might you be killing the runqemu
process instead of qemu itself?

I'm not sure if there is a way we could reliably force a cleanup of tap
devices when runqemu starts, because we need to support the case where
multiple instances of qemu sessions are running simultaneously (each
with their own tap device). Off the top of my head I think this would
make the state of tap devices non-deterministic.

Furthermore, we support a mode where an administrator can set up one or
more tap devices, allowing the runqemu user to not need sudo privileges.
So checking for the case where a tap device exists but no qemu process
is running wouldn't work.

Scott

--
Scott Garman