[yocto] MACHINE_EXTRA_* and MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_* documentation

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Sun Oct 9 11:26:06 PDT 2011

Op 27 sep. 2011, om 20:04 heeft Richard Purdie het volgende geschreven:

[..]

> So if you change MACHINE_EXTRA* you need to rebuild task-base, if you
> change MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA* you need to rebuild task-core-boot.
> Confusing and the checksum code we'll enable soon should make this
> automatic.
>
> The task-core-boot is included into task-base by task-distro-base
> through DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS which in meta-yocto is set to
> task-core-boot. Both sets of variables should therefore appear in most
> images except minimal and basic which should only get the essential
> ones.
>
> I hope that at least clarifies what should happen...

To combat the confusion I did it slightly different in task-basic:

https://github.com/openembedded/meta-oe/blob/master/meta-oe/recipes-core/tasks/task-basic.bb

Any var besides *_FEATURES you can poke is prefixed with TASK_BASIC:

TASK_BASIC_SSHDAEMON

I would propose that if the EXTRA and ESSENTIAL stuff is only used a single recipe that they should be prefixed to give people a better chance at finding out what it impacts.

Right now you'd need to call it BUMP_PR_OF_TASK_CORE_RECIPE_IF_YOU_CHANGE_ME_MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_*, but that's a different discussion :)

regards,

Koen