[yocto] how to cleanly exit a QEMU session?

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 30 14:31:49 PST 2011

On 30/11/11 03:46, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 29 November 2011 18:00:31 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>   i'm sure it's in one of the docs i missed, but how does one cleanly
>>> shut down a QEMU session and get back to the original terminal
>>> session?  i've tried shutdown and poweroff but neither of those gives
>>> me my shell prompt back.
>>
>> Which machine are you running within the emulator? I know some emulated
>> machines don't seem to support actually powering off - does reboot work?
>
>   qemuppc, core-image-minimal.  interestingly, "poweroff" doesn't
> completely close the QEMU session, but "reboot" does.  it might be
> worth adding that to the quick start guide.

The same is also true for qemuarm, we work around it in sato by munging
the shutdown.desktop file to all restart and having the qemu scripts
start qemu with -norestart.

Clearly we should also do the shutdown.desktop munging for qemuppc

What do people think to the idea of putting something into the image for
those two specific machines which aliases poweroff to reboot?

Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
        Yocto Project "Johannes factotum"