[yocto] Native build tools question

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Nov 28 13:46:50 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 16:17 -0500, Marc Ferland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writing a recipe for the visualization toolkit (vtk).
>
> To compile, this library invokes executables that are generated
> on-the-fly by the compilation process (a little bit like Qt and
> qmake).
>
> The path to these executables can be specified to cmake when building
> vtk. So far I was able to make it work by hard-coding this "tools"
> directory in my recipe to a path on my local machine. It works, but it
> is not very portable.
>
> What's the official way to handle such libraries?
>
> Should I first do a native build, then use this native build directory
> when cross-compiling? If so, is there any examples I should look into?

Yes, a -native recipe to build the tools and then use those native tools
in the cross built is the way to go.

Take a look at any of the recipes which have a DEPENDS on a native
version of themselves. A simple example is say, the bison recipe and the
logic is something like:

DEPENDS = "bison-native"
DEPENDS_virtclass-native = ""

BBCLASSEXTEND = "native"