[yocto] Linux kernel recipe template

Ilya Dmitrichenko errordeveloper at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:01:51 PST 2011

Hello List,

I have had an attempt to build a kernel from the git sources, trying
to checkout the v3.1.1 tag, but it appeared to be more difficult then
I thought. Most of the problem I have had with the yocto-specific
metadata and some of the extra tasks that it adds. What is the
cleanest and compatible way to build a kernel from git or any standard
tree (i.e. 2.6.x or later).

I can see that the yocto way of building kernel is to provide a commit
ID for each specific architecture and there also these metadata
branches, which don't quite understand yet. I managed to somehow slip
through, but with manual creation of stamp files and manual 'make all
O=../<build_dir>' stage. I don't seem to find any detailed guide,
would be great to just see a template in the tree which do just a
basic build from a given SRC_URI. It would be also nice to have a line
in this template which would demonstrate how to apply a custom base
kernel config too.

Regards,
--
Ilya