[yocto] use case howto?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Nov 7 16:12:06 PST 2011

On 2011-11-07 15:15, James Abernathy wrote:
> I thought the idea was to build a recipe for your device that could create the software complete with all the pieces. Certainly, having a list of packages that you need to install
> via zypper is fine, but I thought that not the concept behind Yocto???
> Sorry for the dumb questions.

It's actually a combination of both worlds - you can use existing recipes
to add functionality by just including those packages in your system, either
at initial build time or by using the packaging tools.  You can also easily
write your own recipes to build specialized packages.  The combination is
up to you.

A point of terminology - recipes are used to construct packages which can
then be installed, etc.  They are functional units, not necessarily tied
to any particular device or system.

n.b. top posting on mailing lists makes your replies harder to follow :-(