[yocto] use case howto?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 13:59:32 PST 2011

I approach embedded Linux from a path of taking a Distro like Ubuntu or
Fedora and chopping it down to a working set of code that forms the final
solution.  Obviously, not the same methology as Yocto.  With some success
with the current methods, it's difficult to see the advantages of Yocto.
I'm reading what I can find to get smarting on Yocto, but like most new
concepts, you try to compare what you used to do with how to do it with the
new concept.

For example, if I use a distro, I can install packages really simply with
yum or apt-get; update them the same way. If I start with a Yocto meta-???
that's closest to my hardware solution, and get it working at a base level,
how do I add things, like browsers, or other application?

Jim A