[yocto] what's the proper value for BB_NUMBER_THREADS?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 3 10:41:31 PDT 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 10/31/2011 10:39 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:

> >>    that's what i would normally use, assuming that having an overly
> >> high value for either of those settings can't possibly hurt.  if
> >> that's the consensus, i can adjust the references to say 2x everywhere
> >> that i know of.  just let me know.
> >
> > Look back in the archives - I think it was Richard that did a fairly
> > extensive study of this and he (whoever it was) found that there were
> > saturation points and trying to get beyond them had a negative impact.
>
> 2x on each works well up to about 12 in my experience. Richard has found
> benefits using 24 on a similar system with more memory. However, if you
> aren't building on a monster machine, then 2x serves as a reasonable
> rule of thumb.

  since i vaguely recall that i was the one who asked about this, i
can submit a patch for this unless someone else already wants to.  i
can see that the places to change would be in some of the docs, as
well as the comment in local.conf.sample.

  anyone else want to take care of that?  anyone?  bueller?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca