[yocto] Older versions of Linux as build hosts?

Matt Madison madison at cisco.com
Tue Mar 22 09:40:53 PDT 2011

Hi,

I know the documentation mentions that you should be running a ³reasonably
current² Linux as your build host, but in my enterprise environment I¹m
stuck with having to run fairly old versions, based on RHEL 4 and 5.  I¹ve
got some patches that I¹ve been maintaining so I can bootstrap Bernard
builds on these systems.  Is there any interest in supporting older systems
as build hosts?  Any thoughts on how far back ³reasonably current² is going
to be with each Yocto release?  I¹m trying to work with my IT group to
upgrade a bit more frequently, and for developer workstations, that might be
possible, but I¹m not sure I¹ll be able to convince them to do that for
servers in our data centers.

Is anyone else having this kind of problem?

Thanks,
-Matt