[yocto] yocto supported freescale eval boards

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Sun Mar 6 00:18:26 PST 2011

Hi Darren, Bruce,

On 03/06/2011 02:52 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

>>> Besides the PPC the iMX31ADS seems to be supported as well.
>
> The imx31ads is supported by older non linux-yocto recipes, so it
> may have some bit rot at the moment. Until it gets refreshed onto
> a linux-yocto base, your mileage will vary with it.

Thanks for the hint;)

>> We're currently using the following board.
>>
>> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?PName?Name=MPC8315E-RDBA-ND&Site=US&Lang=EN
>>

> Confirmed. This is the board we are currently using.
>

> There are definitely plans to update/refresh the FSL/e500 board
> options. Unofficially there's a whole set of boards that will
> work fine, and there's a good pool of good quality BSPs that are
> viable options.
>
> I hesitate to say more, since nothing has been quite chosen yet
> and I'd be speculating or worse misleading at this point. But
> a newer e500 based board is something that will arrive once
> everything falls into place.

Do you happen to have some time estimation for this?

> That being said, I can suggest/help with the addition of any of
> a number of FSL powerpc based boards, it all depends on what
> the requirements are for the board. Does it just have to
> be readily available ? Less than 'x' dollars ? Any particular
> peripheral support ?

I'm doing a 5 days "Introduction to Embedded Linux" and a 5 days "Device
Drivers and Kernel Internals" training which are pretty much hardware
independent. Just want to avoid using LTIB and want to use yocto
instead, since a "mainline" kernel is definitely preferred over whatever
comes with LTIB. Most likely mainline will work with most of the powerpc
based boards as long as I don't need any fancy peripherals.

Thanks for the offer to help me adding a board. I'll have a chat with my
customer and will let you know.

Regards,

Robert

> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

...I read the system requirements label on a software package recently.
It said "requires Windows NT or better". So I installed Unix. -- from a FAQ

My public pgp key is available at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1