[yocto] Results of the latest documentation audit, June 2011

Saul Wold saul.wold at intel.com
Fri Jun 10 17:31:43 PDT 2011

On 06/10/2011 11:21 AM, Scott Garman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a data point for where we stand in ensuring our packages are
> producing documentation, I have some scripts which build all recipes
> (using the output of bitbake -s, not world), and then check that a -doc
> package is generated which is populated with files.
>
> A summary of the results using yesterday's master are as follows:
>
> 584 recipes in total
> 307 recipes are building documentation
> 277 recipes are not building documentation
>
> 20 recipes did not build, and are counted above as "not building
> documentation"
>
> It's the impression of Saul and I that some of the recipes which do not
> build are failing due to dependency issues. In this case, it's generally
> not from a missing dependency, but having another recipe built first
> which then gets picked up (e.g, during do_configure) and causes a build
> failure.
>
> For comparison, here were the results from last month (May 6th):
>
> 591 recipes in total
> 308 recipes are building documentation
> 283 recipes are not building documentation
>
> 31 recipes did not build
>
> The lists of recipes are attached to this email. We'd like to improve
> the percentage of recipes that produce documentation (separated into
> -doc packages, of course) for our next major release in October.
>
> Our userspace recipe maintainers should look into setting aside some
> time to know which of their recipes are in the "not building
> documentation" list and work to improve them. A lot of this is likely to
> be low-hanging fruit.

I have pending fixes for a number of the build_errors list, many where
dependency issues that build on a full build, I am going to research those.

We have bugs for alsa-tools, gobject-interospection and clutter-box2d.

So the recipe maintainers really just need to look at the not building
docs list, not the errors list at this time.

Sau!