[yocto] Configuring CVS to work through a proxy?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jun 7 13:20:20 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 10:47 -0700, Daryl Spitzer wrote:
> I followed the "Building an Image" instructions in the Yocto Project
> Quick Start (on a newly configured machine running Ubuntu 11.04 (64
> bit), and got an error.  The contents of the failure logfile is:
>
> NOTE: fetch http://anonymous@autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/sources/config_cvs.sv.gnu.org__20080123.tar.gz

What is odd/interesting here is that its trying the http address for the
cache of this. If I click the above link, I do get the file after a
warning about the anonymous user. I wonder if that username is upsetting
wget somehow and breaking our mirroring infrastructure?

"wget
http://anonymous@autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/sources/config_cvs.sv.gnu.org__20080123.tar.gz"

does seem to work here for me...

> NOTE: Fetch cvs://anonymous@cvs.sv.gnu.org/cvsroot/config;module=config;method=pserver;date=20080123
> cvs [checkout aborted]: connect to cvs.sv.gnu.org(140.186.70.72):2401
> failed: Connection timed out
> ERROR: Function 'Fetcher failure for URL:
> 'cvs://anonymous@cvs.sv.gnu.org/cvsroot/config;module=config;method=pserver;date=20080123'.
> Unable to fetch URL
> cvs://anonymous@cvs.sv.gnu.org/cvsroot/config;module=config;method=pserver;date=20080123
> from any source.' failed
>
> I'm guessing this problem is because I haven't configured CVS to work
> through my employer's HTTP proxy.
>
> I did a search, and didn't find any definitive instructions for
> configuring CVS.  (In fact, I found
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/kawa/2003-q3/msg00069.html, which I'm hoping
> is out-of-date since it talks about a patch, which—8 years ago at
> least—wasn't included in GNU CVS.  I did try defining the CVS_PROXY
> environment variable as directed in that page just in case the CVS
> build I'm using includes that patch—but I got the same build error.)
>
> Can anyone point me to up-to-date instructions for configuring CVS to
> work through a proxy?

Good questions. I know we have people with this working behind firewalls
but I'm not sure how they have it working...

Does the wget command above work for you?

Cheers,

Richard