[yocto] kernel panic - not syncing: No init found

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Sun Jul 31 19:42:46 PDT 2011

On 11-07-31 3:44 PM, Francis Meyvis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I probably miss something trivial.
> I cloned the git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git
> I build on a 64 bit machine a qemux86-64
> (. ./oe-init-build-env qemux86-64 and changing the conf/local.conf)
> I build the core-image-sato&  core-image-minimal.
> Then I try to run with
> runqemu qemux86-64 core-image-sato ext3
>
> But both sato and minimal give me this message:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.
>
> As runqemu showed me the full command line I tried to add the --append
> command line option
> init=/sbin/init and /sbin/init.sysvinit
> But that did not help (there's a message saying Failed to execute
> /sbin/init. Attempting defaults...)
> I verified by mounting these ext3 images on a loop device that there's
> really a /sbin/init present.
>
> Can somebody tell what I'm doing wrong?

Can you send a full bootlog, or paste it somewhere accessible ? It's hard
to say what's with the information you've given.

Is this the latest yocto master ?

If you are seeing that message it typically means that the the
device that is being used as the root isn't ready (fixed by
rootwait/rootdelay) or isn't supported (i.e. NFS root without
the right ethernet device). Changing what init is, won't change
the result if either one of those is the case.

Cheers,

Bruce