[yocto] Color ghosting on BeagleBoard xM rev C

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Jul 26 10:15:07 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-26 11:00, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 12:47 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> On 2011-07-15 09:30, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>>> Darren Hart suggested I send this to the list...
>>>
>>> Attached is a picture of my screen running Terminal. This is on a BeagleBoard xM rev C connected via its HDMI out to a DVI adapter and then into a Dell UltraSharp monitor. Angstrom
>>> doesn't display these problems, so the setup should be fine.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure what is causing this. The resolution is also fairly low, and I haven't had any success using boot parameters (either the older video=omapfb:mode variant or the
>>> newer DSS2 omapfb.mode variant).
>>
>> Did you ever find out what is causing this?
>
> No, but I'll be testing out a new build soon -- haven't been able to for a bit.
>
>> When you say that it works on one system (Poky?) vs another (Angstrom?)
>> are they both running the same version of U-Boot? I'm seeing this same
>> behaviour on one of my boards, but only when I run U-Boot from 2011.06
>
> Yes -- Yocto/Poky/Sato vs. Angstrom. I doubt they're running the same version of U-Boot, but I don't know the version numbers offhand.

Check the display setup.  In my case, my old U-Boot (which works great)
was using dvimode=1024x768-24 at 60 and the new U-Boot is using dvimode=1024x768MR-16 at 60
When I switch back to the old setting, even with the new U-Boot, my display
runs great again.  n.b. this may be kernel revision sensitive as well.

>> BTW - why did you send your original query to the Poky list?
>
> Because Darren suggested that I do so, to get various eyes on it :-)

Sounds reasonable - I only asked because your original email didn't
really spell out why it went to the Poky list.

Thanks & good luck