[yocto] when checksums collide -- the saga of linux-2.6.37.2.tar.bz2

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 15 04:11:39 PDT 2011

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Friday 15 July 2011 11:47:44 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > unsurprisingly, the fetch for the linux tarball still failed for the
> > same reason as before -- incorrect checksums.  huh.  i typically don't
> > expect to see that in a simple fetch.  so check KERNELORG_MIRROR (http
> > site), *manually* download that tarball and, sure enough, its md5 and
> > sha256 sums are the (incorrect) ones that bitbake is reporting, which
> > don't match what's expected.  how odd.  (i verified this two
> > additional times, same result.)
> >
> >   just as a test, i edited the bitbake.conf and changed
> > KERNELORG_MIRROR to refer to the kernel ftp site, cleared out the
> > remnants of that fetch, re-ran it and ... success!  huh?  so the
> > tarball via http is broken, but the one via ftp is good?  but it was
> > late, so i just threw up my hands and went to bed.
> >
> >   this morning, manually download both tarballs (ftp and http), check
> > their sums and ... they match!  reset everything, go back to the
> > original http KERNELORG_MIRROR value and it's all good.  what the heck
> > was *that* all about?
>
> Do you still have the tarball with the bad md5sum? Can you diff the
> contents? Or was it simply a case of the bad tarball being
> truncated?

  sadly, i tossed the "bad" tarball, but i do recall that when i just
tried to check the contents with "tar tvjf", it eventually reported
unexpected EOF -- yes, i might have mentioned that earlier. :-P

  so i'll just chalk it up to cosmic rays or something, but i did try
the same thing three times and got the same error result all three
times.  this morning, though, everything's back to normal.  go figure.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca