[yocto] rootfs image size

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Jan 26 05:08:56 PST 2011

I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm not having much luck !

I've built poky-image-minimal for atom-pc using the 0.9 Poky release.

This gives me an ext3 rootfs of over 80MB, which doesn't sound minimal
to me ;-)

Can I reduce the size of the image, or is it expected to be this size?

I've tried changing

IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE_ext3 = "500000"

  in atom-pc.conf to another value, but this didn't make any
difference to the image that gets created (by re-running bitbake poky-
image-minimal after making the above change).

I've also tried using

ROOT_FLASH_SIZE = "64"

also without any luck.

Any help would be much appreciated !