[yocto] Eclipse Plugin EGit investigation result

Ke, Liping liping.ke at intel.com
Wed Jan 5 21:40:16 PST 2011

Hi, Jessica

After discussed with Lianhao, seems there're two requirements

1) Lianhao expect that we can use the capability of git clone functionality
   provided by egit. Egit is strong and implemented its own git, support all sorts of ops,
   so we need not use native git; of course there's no need to consider proxy settings at all.
   It will use http proxy set by eclipse itself. Lianhao said it's difficult for him
   to set proxy and call it through shell. So, use egit clone is his requirement.

   So, if we want to use it for clone project.
   1. One way: User must install egit, then we try to hack the code, directly
      call the egit related UI Wizard during poky-meta-project creation phase..
      Risk is: Egit is in incubation. I did meet some errors when checkout, (NULLPointer...).
      If user does not install it, create project will fail.
   2. Another way: We study the code, get rid of useless code, only extract clone
      related code.
      Risk is: git repository is implemented as a whole, UI are complex too. The code
      amount is huge.

   So my question is: Since poky.git is the only destination, we need not consider support
   all sorts of repositories at all. Also, if user want to bitbake, he must configure his
   git well (such as proxy problem). I am not sure how shell git works now and is it totally intolerable?
   We need egit's implementation instead of current shell script implementation.

2) You want to support commit, diff, patch, cherry pick, etc.
   It's no problem. Actually it's what egit is supposed to do.

   After user create poky-meta-project successfully, he will click the project, then
   Select->Team->Share->git, a local repository is set up. commit, diff, branch,
   anything is not a problem. Poky does not allow submit changes to remote
   repository, so user can only have local repository to track their changes.

So I guess the only problem left here is that whether we should try extract egit internal clone
Functionality. If yes, which way 1) install egit and hack the UI code 2) study the code, extract
needed code. Both risks have been listed above.

Thanks & Regards,
criping