[yocto] How do I use layers to replacing system configuration files?

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Sun Feb 20 09:58:06 PST 2011

I want to be able to change the contents of 'interfaces' in a way that
means I don't have to change the meta/ tree. It looks like layers
should do this for me (section 3.4.1 of the Poky Reference Manual),
but I can't seem to get my files to take precedence.

For example, a default build for laverne-4.0.1 uses core-recipes/
netbase/netbase/qemux86/interfaces.

I've created an empty copy of the meta-emenlow layer, changed its
layer.conf as required and added it in to bblayers.conf. I can tell
this is getting picked up as I get a warning that it contains no .bb
files (it will eventually).

However, my meta-new/packages/netbase/netbase/qemux86/interfaces file
isn't overriding the one above.

What else do I need to do? Do I need to have something other that .bb
and .bbappend added to BBPATH (or something else)?

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com