[yocto] Documentation audit - initial results.

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Wed Feb 9 11:34:56 PST 2011

Hello,

I thought I'd share the initial results from the documentation audit
I've been doing.

I count a recipe as generating documentation if it creates a -doc output
package which is populated with files (as opposed to an empty directory
tree).

Using this metric, and building recipes as obtained from bitbake -s for
qemux86, I've obtained the following numbers:

302 recipes are producing documentation
285 recipes do not currently produce documentation
22 recipes failed to build

I did manage to filter out from this analysis a number of obvious recipe
filename patterns: task-/meta-/-native/-nativesdk/-image. That said,
there are still some false negatives in the "documentation_missing"
list. For example, our plethora of gcc-related recipes do not produce
documentation and instead associate it with the primary recipe (gcc),
and so on.

I will be continuing to look into fixing recipes with missing
documentation that *should* be providing it as time goes on, but this
gives us a good baseline to start with.

To keep track of this baseline, I will be coordinating with Saul
sometime soon to add a new (Yocto is not a) distro tracking field to all
recipes. This field will be named RECIPE_DOC_AUDIT_STATUS_pn-<pkg> and
will be "red" for recipes that are either missing documentation or (as
you add new recipes) have not been audited. The status will be "green"
for recipes that either produce documentation or it's been confirmed
that the recipe does not need to build documentation. I'd prefer not to
further complicate the tracking field, but will consider suggestions
from Saul or Richard if finer-grained detail is needed.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project