[yocto] meta-linaro woes continue

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Feb 4 14:29:58 PST 2011

On 02/04/2011 03:21 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On 02/03/2011 11:08 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>> On 02/03/2011 03:19 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>> n.b. this is a continuation of "Kernel Panics on armv4t with gcc.4.5.1"
>>> but the actual discussion has changed enough and there was too much
>>> noise in the previous thread.
>>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> We're both pounding away on the meta-linaro layer at the same time
>> unfortunately. I've reorganized things a bit and cleaned up how the
>> layer is configured. I believe this layer ran into some trouble when gcc
>> and binutils changed, but also suffered from a bad BBFILES variable as
>> well (as you noted below). I'll push my changes to
>> poky-contrib/dvhart/meta-linaro just as soon as they build.
>>
>> --
>> Darren
>>

>>> Trying to use the meta-linaro layer (to solve my problems
>>> with GCC/4.5.1 on armv5te ), I was able to include and use
>>> the layer with the attached changes. I added this layer
>>> intact, moving meta-linaro into my poky tree at the same
>>> level as meta, meta-extras, etc.
>>>
>>> I also had to copy meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-4.5.1 into
>>> meta-linaro/recipes-devtools/gcc (I didn't know how to expand
>>> the FILESPATH variable to suck from the main meta tree)
>>>
>>> The next problem is this:

>>> --enable-threads, --enable-target-optspace, --enable-lto,
>>> --enable-libssp, --disable-bootstrap, --disable-libgomp,
>>> --disable-libmudflap, --with-float, --with-local-prefix, --with-sysroot,
>>> --with-build-sysroot, --disable-libunwind-exceptions,
>>> --enable-__cxa_atexit
>>> '/home/local/efacec_omap_linaro/tmp/work/armv5te-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc-runtime-4.5.1.linaro-r0/gcc-4.5.1.linaro/build.arm-poky-linux-gnueabi.arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/libstdc++-v3'

>>> '/home/local/efacec_omap_linaro/tmp/work/armv5te-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc-runtime-4.5.1.linaro-r0/gcc-4.5.1.linaro/build.arm-poky-linux-gnueabi.arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/libstdc++-v3'

>>> NOTE: package gcc-runtime-4.5.1.linaro-r0: task do_qa_configure: Failed
>>>
>>> Ideas? I'm really anxious to see if this fixes my kernel problems.
>
> I'm hitting something similar with libtool. I've pushed my dev branch out so you can see how things have changed. I've also asked Nitin to take a look at the libtool issues (and if
> they are related to the linaro gcc).
>
> My branch is available here:
>
> poky-extras/dvhart/meta-linaro-dev
>
> I picked up your do_src_move change as it resolves the issue - but I can't say that I really understand the problem being solved - can you elaborate on why you took this approach?
> I'll credit you properly in the commit in the final set of branches.

I made this change because do_unpack_append() was being treated
as a Python function, so the syntax was wrong.  By using that
function to run a shell function, the problem is solved.  I patterned
this after similar functions, e.g. in the eglibc recipe.  It took me
a while to find and understand this, but then it became obvious.

> Also note, this branch WILL be rebased and otherwise abused as I get it in shape for a pull request.

Thanks for your time