[yocto] RFC: Web UI design for bitbake

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 20 09:05:40 PST 2011

2011/12/20 Wang, Shane <shane.wang at intel.com>:
> Samuel Stirtzel wrote on 2011-12-20:
>
>> 2011/12/20 Wang, Shane <shane.wang at intel.com>:
>>
>> It sounds like you want to build it all from scratch, quite a lot of
>> work to build a fully featured web build system,
>> in this case compatibility to other systems would be nice.
>>

>> For web builds with bitbake, Jenkins-CI (a fork of the continuous
>> integration system Hudson) [1] could be worth a look,
>> it is more than just a build tool.
>>
>> There is also Autobuilder, but I guess for end users it is too much
>> configuration effort?
>> Jenkins-CI was very easy to setup and with a plug-in it could be as
>> simple as pointing the web-UI to the Bitbake path,
>> managing cluster/cloud/slave-pc entities is easy too.
>>
>> Just my 0.02 cents in the case that you didn't already cast it in concrete.
>> IMHO it looks like Jenkins and the concept-pdf are very similar,
>> only difference seems to be: you want to invent it all by yourself?
>>

>> [1] Jenkins-CI : http://jenkins-ci.org/
>>

> Thanks for the feedbacks. We considered autobuilder previously. But they are similar but different.
> Web HOB is going to provide a tool to deeply customize images from browsers.
> At this point, autobuilder is weaker.

In the current state it is possible to use a so called parameterized
build for this purpose.
Here the user could choose between machines and images that where
configured in a selection and add a text based package list.

The architecture would make it possible to create a plug-in which
shows available machines, images and packages (with additional
informations).

The build result (rootfs or ipk/rpm) can be preserved for each build,
and it is possible to send them via e-mail, ftp, ssh+scp or any other way.

> We will have a look at your suggestions first.

For me the additional statistics of builds, like graphs that shows the
build time (file-size and whatever else) and easily customizable
functions,
give me the freedom of how I can build things and track the status of
my project in the way I want to do.

--
Regards
Samuel