[yocto] Yocto Mirroring.

Flanagan, Elizabeth elizabeth.flanagan at intel.com
Mon Dec 12 11:22:52 PST 2011

All,

You may have noticed over the past few days some slowness when trying to
access the autobuilder or the downloads area on the yocto websites. This
was due to someone attempting to wget the entire downloads directory and
accounting for about 75% of the hits against the webserver over a period of
a few days.

Please, if you are attempting to mirror via wget, don't.

- It's inefficient. rsync is better.
- You really don't need all of downloads.yoctoproject.org, do you? If you
do, see above and email me.
- If you end up doing it and your wget ends up causing bandwidth issues due
to flooding our connection, you will end up bandwidth limited (which is bad
if you ever need to use the autobuilder PREMIRRORS/MIRRORS)
- It effects other users and it's really not the right way of doing it.

If you wish to mirror the yocto download site, please contact me and I can
tell you how to go about doing it correctly. Also, please remember that we
are mirrored via kernel.org @ http://mirrors.kernel.org/yocto

--
Elizabeth Flanagan
Yocto Project