[yocto] Adding features to a machine

Marc Ferland marc.ferland at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:11:43 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 12/08/2011 12:36 PM, Marc Ferland wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com
> > <mailto:dvhart at linux.intel.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 12/08/2011 11:13 AM, Marc Ferland wrote:
> >     > Hi,
> >     >
> >     > I have a crownbay based machine here and I would like to add the
> >     > bluetooth machine feature to it. Do I have to create a whole new
> >     BSP for
> >     > this? I haven't seen any examples showing how to _modify_ a machine
> >     > description.
> >

> >     Have you tried modifying either MACHINE_FEATURES_crownbay or
> >     KERNEL_FEATURES_crownbay from local.conf? I haven't attempted this
> >     myself, but I believe it should work.
> >

> > Tried both.
> >
> > With MACHINE_FEATURES_crownbay += "bluetooth" I get:
> > NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
> > ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'modutils-depmod' (but
> > /home/marc/dev/poky/poky-src/meta/recipes-kernel/update-modules/
> update-modules_1.0.bb
> > <http://update-modules_1.0.bb> RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
> > NOTE: Runtime target 'modutils-depmod' is unbuildable, removing...
>
> Hrm, yes, I don't see what provides modutils-depmod. I believe you may
> have found a bug. Mind filing one?
>
> > Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['modutils-depmod']
> > NOTE: Runtime target 'perf' is unbuildable, removing...
> > Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['perf', 'update-modules',
> > 'modutils-depmod']
> > NOTE: Runtime target 'task-core-tools-profile' is unbuildable,
> removing...
> > Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['task-core-tools-profile',
> > 'perf', 'update-modules', 'modutils-depmod']
> > ERROR: Required build target 'sonatest-test-image' has no buildable
> > providers.
> > Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['sonatest-test-image',
> > 'task-core-tools-profile', 'perf', 'update-modules', 'modutils-depmod']
> >
> > With KERNEL_FEATURES_crownbay += "bluetooth", I get the following when
> > recompiling the kernel:
> > Log data follows:
> > | Deleted branch meta-temp (was 620917d).
> > | WARNING: addon feature "bluetooth" was not found
> > | ERROR: required features were not found. aborting
> >
> > BTW, I did not find any precise kernel feature for bluetooth when
> > looking in
> >
> builddir/tmp/work/crownbay-poky-linux/linux-yocto/linux/meta/cfg/kernel-cache/
>
> Right, you would need to add something if you need a driver that isn't
> listed there or in the crownbay BSP.
>
> Sorry to bring this up again, but since the documentation states that
"bluetooth" is a valid MACHINE_FEATURE option and no configuration fragment
is present to support this feature does that mean that it cannot really
work by simply adding the option? Could this be a bug/missing feature?

BTW, I got bluetooth working but I add to create a config fragment like you
suggested which is kind of confusing since a MACHINE_FEATURE already exists
for this functionality.

Regards,
Marc