[yocto] Variable locality too restricted.

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Dec 8 15:12:20 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 14:56 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 02:47 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:

> >> This has the same original variable scope issue as before however. It
> >> would be nice to be able to do this:
> >>
> >> $ bitbake core-image-minimal
> >> $ bitbake core-image-minimal-debug
> >>
> >> The latter image would use the same machine, but it would build perf,
> >> add "debug" and other configurable options to "APPEND", and add a
> >> configurable set of KERNEL_FEATURES. We should also update the base
> >> kernel tools (non-Yocto) to use merge_config.sh so fragments can be used
> >> in those recipes as well.
> >>
> >> The problem I've run into here in the past has been that I cannot
> >> specify things like PREFERRED_PROVIDER in the image recipe. So, for
> >> example, to build RT, the current documented approach is to first add a
> >> PREFERRED_PROVIDER line to either local.conf or bblayers to select
> >> linux-yocto-rt and then to build core-image-rt which merely adds some
> >> relevant packages. It would be much preferable to be able to specify
> >> just an image target and not have to change your configuration because
> >> the image is the intuitive distinguishing factor for people.
> >
> > I'd like to give the bitbake perspective on this problem.
> >
> > PREFERRED_PROVIDER in images doesn't really make sense to bitbake.
> > Imagine you have:
> >
> > core-image-minimal setting PREFERRED_PROVIDER = "kernelA" and
> > core-image-minima-debug setting PREFERRED_PROVIDER = "kernelB". Both
> > would depend on "virtual/kernel". You then run:
> >
> > "bitbake core-image-minimal core-image-minimal-debug"
> >
> > What would you expect bitbake to do?
>
> What I _think_ most people would expect it to do is to build each kernel
> and install the right one in each image. I understand this doesn't work
> with the way bitbake currently handles kernels, as you describe below.
>
> > The kernel is special in that doesn't really stage output that is reused
> > by other parts of the system but we have to consider the general case
> > where output such as libraries would end up in a shared sysroot. Even
> > then, the kernel does generate packages which it places in a machine
> > specific feed and the names don't reflect the different inputs, there is
> > one kernel-image package for example and in the above case it would be a
> > race on which one built last.
>
> The names not reflecting different inputs seems like it should be
> something we can address. I appreciate it isn't trivial, and probably
> stomps on some pretty core assumptions dealing with how we build images,

Images aren't the problem, those are easy. Its the packages. How do you
represent that kernel-image A is built with configuration X and
kernel-image B is built with configuration Y. How do you determine
whether you can switch between A and B or not? How do you decide which
one is the higher version?

> but I believe it would be valuable to be able to build multiple kernel
> versions for a given machine.

Version on its own is easier as packages do have pretty clear ideas
about versions. I suspect you mean different configurations though.

>  Many Linux distributions do this and I can
> see users of Yocto wanting to do the same with the distributions they build.

How do different linux distributions do that exactly? Likely different
package feeds for each kernel?

As far as I can tell, to do this properly we'd need to:

a) Adopt per recipe sysroots
b) Adopt package feeds constructed per image
c) Drop support for anyone wanting traditional distro type package feeds

These things would not be popular with the community due to a loss of
functionality and would utterly destroy any notion of build speed.

> > Bitbake therefore takes PREFERRED_PROVIDER and VERSION decisions from
> > the core configuration (.conf / .inc / machine / distro / bitbake.conf /
> > base.bbclass). There is no easy solution to this problem, even recipe
> > specific sysroots would only get a part solution.
>
> Would this be something we should consider as a major feature
> development item for a future release?

Not without some idea of how it could be made to work. I can't visualise
a way of making this work as you describe as long as we have packages
around to deal with in the conventional way.

We've talked about special cases for the kernel above but any proposal
needs to work generically too which makes this trickier again :(.

Cheers,

Richard