[yocto] Variable locality too restricted.

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu Dec 8 10:49:47 PST 2011

On 12/08/2011 06:31 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM, David Nyström <David.Nystrom at enea.com> wrote:

This has the same original variable scope issue as before however. It
would be nice to be able to do this:

$ bitbake core-image-minimal
$ bitbake core-image-minimal-debug

The latter image would use the same machine, but it would build perf,
add "debug" and other configurable options to "APPEND", and add a
configurable set of KERNEL_FEATURES. We should also update the base
kernel tools (non-Yocto) to use merge_config.sh so fragments can be used
in those recipes as well.

The problem I've run into here in the past has been that I cannot
specify things like PREFERRED_PROVIDER in the image recipe. So, for
example, to build RT, the current documented approach is to first add a
PREFERRED_PROVIDER line to either local.conf or bblayers to select
linux-yocto-rt and then to build core-image-rt which merely adds some
relevant packages. It would be much preferable to be able to specify
just an image target and not have to change your configuration because
the image is the intuitive distinguishing factor for people.

--
Darren

> Cheers,
>
> Bruce
>> Possibly, all kernel related stuff can be located to kernel-profiling-flavour.bb, where recipes are depending on a flavour instead of directly to the kernel-config-xxx.
>> 4. Continues with otherwise normal build-flow.
>> 5. deploy/ipk..rpm..deb: Kernel binary packages are given a flavour.(Still the same kernel source package).
>> 6. deploy/images: keeping a scheme of images similiar to rootfs:es.
>>
>> Impossible ?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> David

Darren Hart