[yocto] Configuring a layer to support multiple targets

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Aug 17 00:59:16 PDT 2011

On 13 Aug 2011, at 02:22, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> What's your yocto release / base kernel ? IF you happen to
> be using linux-yocto there are several ways to avoid using
> defconfigs at all, and share your common base of kernel
> configuration items.

Plan is to move to linux-yocto (currently using wrs). How do I
configure it without using a defconfig?

Also, is it possible to use a .config rather than a defconfig? I've
got a lot of stuff turned off to reduce the size of the kernel, but a
defconfig doesn't quite do. For example, if I have

# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set

in a defconfig, then this gets in to the .config at build time.
However, this doesn't disable any dependencies that are enabled in
linux-wrs. This means that modules for the likes of the ftdi and
pl2303 USB serial devices are still included in the kernel image.

The use of a complete .config would stop this.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com