[yocto] Magic/File problems

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 1 15:18:45 PDT 2011

On 08/01/2011 10:55 AM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On my host system I have the "file" utility version 5.05. The version in
> poky/in my build directories is version 5.04. I'm seeing a lot of builds
> fail with the following:
>
> | error: magic_load(ms, /usr/share/misc/magic) failed: File 5.4 supports
> only version 7 magic files. `/usr/share/misc/magic.mgc' is version 8
>
> Note that the version there is 5.4; this doesn't match anything as far
> as I can tell.
>
> Any ideas?

Jeff,

Which version of poky are you working with? There was a problem that we
had with file at one point and thought was fixed. If you check in your
tmp/sysroots directory for the host machine, do you have a file.real?

We needed to create a cover script which correctly pointed file to the
right magic.mgc file.

Hope that helped.

Sau!