[yocto] Personal git repositories

Darren Hart darren.hart at intel.com
Thu Apr 28 10:07:09 PDT 2011

On 04/28/2011 01:28 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 20:59 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 11-04-27 6:47 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>> I don't understand wanting to keep multiple distinct source trees in a single
>>> git repositorie. If you have two different layers in there, each in its own
>>> branch, then you can only work with one of them at a time. The end-user then has
>>> to have multiple clones of the same repository in order to work with their two
>>> layers. And they will end up naming them something like:
>>>
>>> yocto-contrib-layer-1.git
>>> yocto-contrib-layer-2.git
>>
>> This is what I was wondering as well. I had my meta-kernel-dev as
>> a branch on poky-extras and ran into exactly this problem. Either
>> have two clones, or get it into master. Master was the choice, since
>> the other seemed clunky.
>>
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding as well, but sparse fetch or not (and
>> yes I've done/used it), logically I like things that are distinct
>> source trees to be separate repos. Maybe it's a kernel-guy thing ? :)
>
> I think there are three elements to this:
>
> a) People do like the logical separation that a repo gives them and
>    find it easiest to think in those terms.
> b) Most people are used to single relatively monolithic repos such as
>    the kernel. People like myself who have used svn with multiple
>    projects contained within like matchbox or the OpenedHand "misc" svn
>    repo or the BSD projects approach to source control are probably in
>    the minority.
> c) The git tooling and all the examples out there are geared up to
>    single repos. git is very much a tool where you need to think as its
>    authors do.

Agreed.

> Some of this can be addressed with clear example documentation about how
> to use git in this way.
>
> Partly, these proposals are also working within the constraints of the
> git server solution we have too. Are we really in such a bad position
> that we need to change all the server setup over this or are there ways
> we can work within the existing system (or even extend gitolite)?

I don't know what gitolite is capable of. I would really like to be able
to create and destroy my own repositories in a central location with
other Yocto developers.

However, this doesn't block me from moving forward. I can use kernel.org
or dvhart.com to do this for the time being and make requests of the
admins when I have a repository that looks to have some staying power.
I'll have to time this transition appropriately so that I don't have to
ask too many people to migrate to the new URL, but that would be true of
a personal repository to official repository move as well.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center