[yocto] Personal git repositories

Elizabeth Flanagan elizabeth.flanagan at intel.com
Wed Apr 27 10:20:43 PDT 2011

A few notes, since I talked with Darren about this earlier.

As one of the people in charge of maintaining the git repo, I would like to avoid having, as Darren suggested, a whole
bunch of -contrib repos. However, maybe I'm missing something here, as I think basic git solves this issue:

Use Case: Tomz has a branch of meta-intel that he has pushed to poky-contrib.git:tomz/foo. dvhart wants to look at it
from his local repo:

git remote add poky-contrib ssh://git@git.pokylinux.org/poky-contrib.git
git fetch poky-contrib tomz/foo:foo
git checkout foo

The fetch allows a sparse checkout of *just* tomz's branch. No need to download all 75M of poky-contrib which is what
you would do with "git remote update". Git remote update is the wrong way to do this and I'd like to avoid having to
swap infrastructure around when it seems to me that this is just one of those "git being a pain to learn"

-b