[yocto] Personal git repositories

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Tue Apr 26 23:35:07 PDT 2011

On 04/26/2011 10:05 PM, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 21:53 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> My thinking (I guess - I didn't really think that much about it at the
>>> time) when requesting the meta-intel-contrib repo was that repos that
>>> could expect to get continual contributions from many people would
>>> benefit from having a corresponding -contrib version - so far that's
>>> poky-contrib, linux-yocto-*.contrib, and openembedded-core-contrib.  To
>>> me bsp repos fit the same criteria, but I'm not the one who has to
>>> manage it all, so I understand the desire to avoid the proliferation.
>>>
>>> Seems like the personal repos idea would mitigate the problem...
>>>

>> I think these are two distinct but overlapping problems:
>>
>> 1) place to share on the common core (poky, linux-yocto*)
>> 2) place to share new stuff that may not amount to anything
>>
>> For #1, the *-contrib git repositories make sense to me. It provides a
>> single repository that a lot of people use and reduces the git remote
>> management for everyone. They are therefor worth the added complexity
>> they add to the yoctoproject git namespace and on the system administrator.
>>
>> For #2, people need to be able to prepare a tree and poke someone in IRC
>> with a git URL to try out. Many of these are likely to be short lived,
>> and to only have a single contributor. As such, they are not worth
>> polluting the yoctoproject git namespace, nor should we burden our
>> system admin with setting them up and tearing them down. Indeed, they
>> are likely to linger, continuing to pollute the namespace long after
>> they are dead trees simply due to the overhead of removing them!
>>
>> As for BSP's... these don't seem to have a lot of contributors - at
>> least from what I have seen. Typically 1 or 2 people. For that scenario,
>> I see two processes as options:
>>
>> a) add user branches:
>>   master
>>   bernard
>>   dvhart/topicA
>>   dvhart/topicB
>>   tzanussi/topicA
>>   tzanussi/topicD
>>

> Yeah, that's what you and I do already.  But we now have people coming
> online who will be be continually pushing changes to their bsps in
> meta-intel and we don't necessarily want to give them write access to
> meta-intel itself right away, I assume...
>
>> b) use the personal repositories described in #2 above
>>

> Yeah, so we could create and manage meta-intel-contrib ourselves without
> bothering any admins...

Well, sort of. The personal trees would be writable only by their owner.
Otherwise you would have to manage all the user authentication. I forgot
about the new meta-intel contributors.

I would suggest we start with a pull model to get things upstream. As
they gain confidence in contributing, we can look at something where
they have more control of a repository, probably still will need a
meta-intel-contrib in this case.

--
Darren

--