[yocto] Personal git repositories

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Tue Apr 26 20:00:51 PDT 2011

git.yoctoproject.org hosts a number of different repositories, some of
which host limited user contributions (such as poky-contrib). These
repositories are setup and administered by a yoctoproject.org system admin.

As our developer base grows, the need for user creatable git trees also
grows. Eventually, *-contrib isn't going to scale, and neither will the
system admin. There are plenty of available places individuals can
create publicly accessible trees (github, kernel.org, or any number of
similar sites). However, I think it would be beneficial for at least
very active developers to be able to create and destroy trees on a whim,
without having to involve the system admin with each event.

kernel.org provides a git web interface for user created trees. I'd like
to see something similar available at yoctoproject.org in order to
establish single place to go looking for "yocto developer trees". Users
would have to justify their request for a user account and agree to a
terms of use. This has served the Linux kernel community very well. I
think it could do the same for us.

Note: I am not offering to setup such a service or even say that it's
possible with the current resources. I just wanted to throw the idea out
there and see if others have found a similar gap in the development
environment and if this idea would address that gap.

Thoughts?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center