[yocto] [poky] Shared State - What does it mean and why should I care?

Esben Haabendal eha at dev.doredevelopment.dk
Mon Apr 25 00:48:13 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 00:43 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:

> As a real world example, the aim is when building an ipk based image,
> only the do_package_write_ipk tasks would have their sstate packages
> fetched and extracted. Since the sysroot isn't used, it would never get
> extracted. This is another reason to prefer the task based approach
> sstate takes over any recipe based approach which would have to install
> the output from every task.

In case anyone cares, the "per-recipe based staging" used in OE-lite,
and proposed as a future design concept for OE-core (although clearly
not going to be used in OE-core anytime soon) is also task based in the
above context, and has the same advantage as described for sstate above.

I just wanted to make the point as the "any recipe based approach" could
easily give casual readers the assumption that this was a weak point in
my proposal.

/Esben