[yocto] Recent build issues.

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Dec 23 16:53:06 PST 2010

On 12/23/10 6:22 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 14:08 -0800, Flanagan, Elizabeth wrote:

>> mips seems to have run poky-image-minimal ok, but with Bug #611, I
>> can't be sure that is the case and I doubt it's actually the case. My
>> inclination is that there is an issue with arm and mips builds that
>> should be looked at.
>
> Also, qemux86 was broken until a fix I pushed a few minutes ago (kernel
> was missing IDE support and wouldn't boot in qemu).
>
> It looks like the new version of opkg we've upgraded to fixing certain
> meta-toolchain corruption issues has some other new characteristics such
> as refusing to install overlapping files. This is good but its exposed
> bugs (and why isn't rpm showing this?).

There are two cases in which RPM allows "overlapping" files.

The first is that the files are identical.  I.e. same md5sum/same sha1.  There
are reasons for overlapping files in most distros, so they are handled
gracefully.  (To me not supporting identical files in multiple packages is a
defect.. because of the second reason...)

The second is two files of different ELF types.  This can occur when you are on
a multilib system.  You have duplicate packages (one 32-bit, one 64-bit) to be
installed at the same time.  They may contain duplicate files, as well as endian
specific files (libraries and binaries).  In the case of overlapping binaries
RPM will check and use a configured policy to determine which one is installed
and which is ignored.  (On IA32 systems, generally 64-bit is installed, and
32-bit is ignored.)  Goal is to allow for both 64-bit and 32-bit libraries, all
common data files and the "preferred" binary format to be installed onto a system.