[yocto] Build success (mostly), disk space a little huge

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Thu Dec 16 12:36:38 PST 2010

For those interested in my build saga,
I performed a mostly successful build of poky-minimal-image
on my old Fedora 8 distro (oustide my Sony firewall).

This was after I installed an poky 586 sdk, and set
path to include /opt/poky/.../usr/bin (to pick up python 2.6.5)

and after adding a fedora package to add chrpath to my
system (not listed on the yocto distro help page).

The build took 6 hours, and the emulator didn't quite finish.
Here was the error:
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in:
/a/home/tbird/work/yocto/poky-4.0-build/tmp/work/i686-linux/qemu-native-0.12.4-r22/temp/log.do_configure.12332
Log data follows:
| You need libGL.so and libGLU.so to exist in your library path and the
development headers for SDL installed to build qemu-native.
|        Ubuntu package names are: libgl1-mesa-dev, libglu1-mesa-dev and
libsdl1.2-dev
| ERROR: Task failed: ('function do_configure failed',
'/a/home/tbird/work/yocto/poky-4.0-build/tmp/work/i686-linux/qemu-native-0.12.4-r22/temp/log.do_configure.12332')
NOTE: package qemu-native-0.12.4-r22: task do_configure: Failed

I checked, and indeed my system is missing SDL-devel.  Due to
some broken dependencies in my yum database, it turned out to be
difficult to install this package, and I'm going to give up
(again) on this machine.

I noticed after the build that my yocto directory was consuming
30G of disk space.  The big parts were in
yocto/poky-4.0-build/tmp/work
$ du -sh *
2.2M	all-poky-linux
18G	i586-poky-linux
3.5G	i686-linux
4.6G	qemux86-poky-linux

This seems a bit high?  Is this normal?
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment