[Yocto-infrastructure] Infrastructure/shoeleather lab meeting.

Hudson, Sean Sean_Hudson at mentor.com
Fri Nov 18 13:53:43 PST 2011

Everyone,

  Thanks for all who managed to attend on such short notice.  For reference and for those who couldn't make it, I have captured notes below from the call.

  A couple of administrative things first, if you are interested in continuing to participate, please sign up for the shoeleather mail alias.  You can sign up here: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/.  The mailer daemon is complaining about too many addresses on the address line and it will help with keeping track of things.
  I will be out for vacation next week, so let's try to get together the following week to pick up where we left off.  The expectation is that Carlos Hernandez and Paul Larson will have a comparison of LAVA and the TI OpenTest approaches for consideration.  Look for a meeting invite for 12/1.  Unless there is a strong objection, I will move it an hour later so that the west coast folks won't complain as much. :)  I will wait to send it out until I come back from vacation.

Meeting Notes:
      Attendees:
        Richard Purdie, Dave Stewart, Bill Mills, Jason Kridner, Carlos Hernandez, Paul Larson, Philip Balister, Sean Hudson, Bob Cochran
      Action items:
      - Sean
        - Look at moving deployment to conn-mux
        - Investigate the bandwidth available
          - Suggestion from Paul was to consider getting a direct  and potentially an outside connection

      - Carlos/Paul - Work on a side by side7 comparison of Lava/TI connect

      - Bill/Jason - Investigate if Beagle XM restarts

      Proposal
      - Bill pointed out that for the start, we might want to consider using boards that "behave nicely"
        to keep things simple/straightforward

      Usability challenges:
      - resource reservation/allocation
      - standing message board (IRC?)
      - Web page link to the IRC (webchat.freenode.net)
      - improve overall landing page with useful information

      Technology challenges:
      - USB power/USB serial - (potentially) Need to have a way to control these
        - Maybe some sort of homegrown/commercial multiplexer

      - serial device # after power cycle

      - Visual look at the board
        - webcams?

      - Hardware probe points?
        - e.g. audio input/output
        - not thinking about including scope or anaylyzers
        - performance on a usb disk
        - not planning to tackle it now, but we are open to the prospect

      - Ethernet connection for testing?
        - bandwidth availability
        - fair sharing of bandwidth across boards?
        - Bill expressed that having a live ethernet connection is really a must
          - question about pocket network inside the lab?
            - packet generator, etc
          - other option would be to allow an outside connection
        - Initial approach proposed would be to dual-home eyelet and add an
          ethernet switch to connect target boards together
        - Potentially might be extended later

      - Image Updates
        - Bootloader
        - Kernel updates
        - root filesystem

      Question:
      - Scope for the lab?
        -  testing of hardware in scope or not?
           - initially not, but maybe later
      - Bandwidth into the lab
        - Sean will investigate
      - How are boards updated currently?
        - Bootloader updates can be sticky
          - Linaro working on a generic hardware solution that would help
      - What about when the user bricks a board?
        - On site (Mobile, AL) will provide some help here
        - Currently, no SLA (best effort)
      - In addition to having board access, what is the plan long term around submitting jobs?
        - Boils down to a roadmap for short term and long term goals

Regards,
     Sean