[yocto-ab] Future of powerpc support in Yocto Project?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu May 10 09:57:45 PDT 2018

Right now we support four architectures equally, one of them being
powerpc.

Unfortunately its status as a primary architecture is coming under
threat as the support in gcc and glibc is at risk of being
deprecated/dropped as its not being maintained in the same way as the
other architectures are. Khem can likely provide more information as he
has connections into those communities.

Right now we don't have any firm plans on what to do. What I do want to
ask is whether any of the members have interest in powerpc, or whether
we should consider dropping that support to focus on the others?

Certainly the real hardware powerpc we have is elderly and not easily
obtained any more. The qemu testing is less onerous but we have to as
the question of whether we're focussing resources where we should be.

Any feedback on how people feel about powerpc support is welcome.

Cheers,

Richard