[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board: VOTE meta-ti BSP layer YP Compatible

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Mar 6 15:34:36 PST 2018

On Mon, 2018-03-05 at 14:37 -0500, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 11:12:42AM -0800, akuster wrote:
> >
> > On 03/05/2018 10:48 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.or
> > >
> > The current explanation in the dev-manual does not make that a
> > requirement for the Yocto-check-layer to be run. If it is unclear,
> > then
> > we need to update doc's or clarify things in the docs.
> >
> >  If the script is mis-behaving, then please open a bug.
> Yes, the script is not perfect. I'm being a guinea pig here to use it
> first :)
>
> For example, qemuarm includes tune-arm926ejs.inc, which sets
> DEFAULTTUNE to
> "armv5te" by default. Other machines, including beaglebone-yocto
> reference
> from meta-yocto-bsp, includes tune-cortexa8.inc, which sets
> DEFAULTTUNE to
> "armv7athf-neon". Then it fails in go-cross-arm from oe-core, since
> signatures
> change due to different DEFAULTTUNE. And that is even w/o meta-ti...

I'm travelling at the moment and am not able to spend time on this
right now.

It is good to see people using the script. You're not the first person
and Wind River and Intel have used it in a variety of contexts, there
were posts from Mark Hatle and Patrick Ohly as they did so, they found
and reported bugs which we did fix. You are still an early user of it
though and we've by no means found all the bugs.

The spirit of YP Compat remains quite clear, a package feed generated
for one MACHINE should not change when you change MACHINE from one in
meta-ti so some other meta-* even if the tune is the same. That causes
significant problems for end users and is something we need authors of
layers to be mindful of.

In that sense the changes should be machine specific or distro specific
and there are changes being made here which cross boundaries. If the
script doesn't detect those changes, it should and its a bug we need to
fix.

I do think its worth working on and will make a big difference to end
users ultimately, we'll have to lead by example. Thanks to everyone for
working through this!

If a bug hasn't been filed, please do so we don't lose track of this.

Cheers,

Richard