[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board: BSPs, YP Compatible, and the new website

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Nov 9 15:42:38 PST 2017

On Thu, 2017-11-09 at 16:31 +0000, Osier-mixon, Jeffrey wrote:
> You and Tracey are totally right, I am wrong – we do enable YP
> Compatible for software layers, BSP or otherwise. It has just been
> many years since anyone applied for the status for anything other
> than BSPs! 1.8 was quite a while ago and my memory is faulty.
>
> I don’t believe RP’s script can validate arbitrary software layers,
> so currently any submission for a feature or distro layer would have
> to be vetted by hand. We also have not yet built a facility in the
> website to feature these layers, although we should and will
> eventually. I completely agree that we need a way to recognize member
> ownership of these layers as a contribution.

Actually, the script is capable of working with the three different
kinds of layers. BSP and Distro layers are well supported, the checks
on software layers are a little more tricky to do and might not be
quite right yet but it does process all the different kinds of layers.

You also don't have to tell the tool which kind of layer it is since
the presence of distro or machine config files makes it clear to the
tool.

I appreciate I do owe people a write up of what its all doing, I still
haven't gotten to that, sorry :(.

Cheers,

Richard