[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board: voting issues for next meeting

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Mon Jun 19 12:48:36 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Otavio Salvador <
otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Osier-mixon, Jeffrey
> <jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com> wrote:
> > The second vote reduction proposal has to do with meetings. For the past
> few
> > years, it has been difficult to get a quorum at Advisory Board meetings,
> so
> > we have not been voting at the meetings themselves. This is problematic
> for
> > a number of reasons. It was suggested at the last meeting that we change
> our
> > voting system to no longer require a quorum at meetings – those members
> > present can vote and pass issues without resorting to the mailing list. I
> > would further propose that for this purpose, all votes taken at meetings
> > without a quorum must be unanimous.
> >
> > For most of the issues voted on by the Advisory Board, I don’t see a
> problem
> > with this at all, and it would encourage members to show up at meetings.
> As
> > always, all meetings are announced at least two weeks ahead of time.
>
> I am against it; we can instead allow votes on mailing list and not
> during the meetings.

I respect your position, especially as I see you make an effort to vote
every time one is called for. However, we already allow votes by email. We
have not voted conclusively in any other way for at least 2 years.

I have found that it can take repeated requests to get a response from most
of the organizations on the members list, and some members simply never
respond. It is getting to be extremely difficult to get a quorum *in any
way*. I am open to other ideas on voting, including enabling individual
members to vote by email if they show themselves to be responsive, but I
have to be able to get a vote on an issue within 2 weeks, otherwise this
governing body is standing in the way of progress for its own project.