[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board: voting issues for next meeting

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Jun 15 22:38:21 PDT 2017

Hi folks - we have a meeting planned for the end of the month. There are two items I would like you to think about, as I am planning for a vote on these. Please plan to attend the meeting, or let me know if attendance will be a problem for you and I can gather your vote beforehand.

Last meeting, we agreed that Participant applications did not require a direct vote if all of the answers to the form were "Yes". Given that we have very well-established guidelines for this program, I believe this will make it much easier for companies to understand their options. Likewise, Bronze applicants need to answer all questions appropriately and provide their donation.

I'd like to propose a similar vote reduction for YP Compatible. As most of you know, we are revising this program to include vetting by Richard's new script, designed for this purpose to give automated advice on whether a particular BSP follows YP-approved guidelines. The proposal is to obviate voting on YP Compatible requests that meet two criteria:

1.       They are either update requests, e.g. to change version numbers, or new applications that answer "Yes" to all criteria on the form

2.       The layer in question passes RP's new script perfectly

All other requests, and anything fishy, would come up for a vote.

The second vote reduction proposal has to do with meetings. For the past few years, it has been difficult to get a quorum at Advisory Board meetings, so we have not been voting at the meetings themselves. This is problematic for a number of reasons. It was suggested at the last meeting that we change our voting system to no longer require a quorum at meetings - those members present can vote and pass issues without resorting to the mailing list. I would further propose that for this purpose, all votes taken at meetings without a quorum must be unanimous.

For most of the issues voted on by the Advisory Board, I don't see a problem with this at all, and it would encourage members to show up at meetings. As always, all meetings are announced at least two weeks ahead of time.

Thanks, and please respond on the list with any discussion.

Jeffrey "Jefro" Osier-Mixon, Intel Corporation
Open Source Community Manager