[yocto-ab] Member involvement in the core of the project

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Mon Oct 3 16:07:47 PDT 2016

On 09/30/2016 06:17 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> One issue I've been giving some thought to is involvement of members
> and their developers in the core engineering of the project. There are
> several kinds of activity people undertake:
>
> * Ownership of areas, reviewing and handling patches there
> * Stable branch maintainership
> * Bug fixing
> * Recipe ownership and maintenance
> * SWAT team (owns handling autobuilder monitoring/reporting)
>
> We've a lot of interesting process pieces which I'd really like to
> expose to a wider audience as I think people don't realise the power of
> some of the automated tooling or testing infrastructure we have.

Richard is touching on some ideas that have worried me for quite some
time. Over the past 6 years, Intel has done a lot of work on the
project. To the point I'm concerned about the corporate bus factor.
We've all read the news, so it is no surprise that Intel is doing some
corporate soul searching. I have as much idea of anyone on this board
how that will play out.

OK, now that we've got that out of the way.

Clearly, OpenEmbedded was around before Intel and will be around for
many, many more years, regardless of any changes that may or may not
occur there.

This board is made up with representatives of companies that have
recognized the incredible value of collaborating to build a foundation
for building embedded systems.

The question is how to sustain the fine work of the past few years and
spread the development and maintenance burden over the larger community.
We've seen the results of the efforts of the past few years pay off in
broader project adoption, now we need to encourage users to start
contributing more and get more companies joining the Yocto Project.

Philip