[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board: April meeting minutes & new member info

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Apr 25 09:43:12 PDT 2016

I've said this in meetings but I'm going to say it here on the list so
everyone hopefully sees it.

I find it really frustrating that we have a great project which is
being adopted and used widely in many different places, yet we can
barely figure out how to keep the servers running and maintain the
documentation, let alone anything else. This is without any funding of
the key project maintainers and the work they do on the "core" of the
project.

The project doesn't have much 'buffer' in its budget. Right now its
widely reported that Intel is laying off people for example. If we do
lose any key people, we're not in a position to be able to retain them,
we simply don't have any options/funds. To be clear, I have no insight
into what may or may not happen and am obviously hoping for the best
but it shows that our position is potentially precarious.

This project shouldn't be in a position like this, its widely used and
enough people depend on it that it should be possible to resolve it.

Unfortunately I'm a software engineer, not a business expert but I'd
like to appeal to the people we do have with the relevant experience to
take this seriously and help us fix the problem and get the project
onto a better footing so we can stop worrying about this.

Cheers,

Richard