[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board: April meeting minutes & new member info

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Sat Apr 23 15:24:48 PDT 2016

On 04/18/2016 01:05 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Erway, Tracey M
> <tracey.m.erway at intel.com> wrote:
>> The purpose of upping the dues was to cover this year's shortfall.  We need a solution that raises funds in the immediate timeframe, so future guidelines will not address the issue.
>> /t
>
> Raising the dues may make it worse. We can see members not renewing
> due the raise of the cost and it can become a real nightmare.
>
> I think instead of raising it, we try to find new members. Otherwise
> we reevaluate our roadmap to make it fit in our budget.

Otavio, OSS Systems is definitely a leading technical contributor and is
showing leadership for small companies by being a member of the Yocto
Project.

What I struggle with is that OpenEmbedded is providing tremendous value
to the embedded Linux community, but until the arrival of the Yocto
Project, we received very little back from the user base. Now, as the
user base explodes, the developers load increases. These are issues we
are struggling with.

I see two key issues:

1) Expanding the developer base.
2) Spreading the financial costs of the project across the user base.

Philip