[yocto-ab] Meta-debian plans to provide 10 years support for a distro

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Mon Nov 23 18:15:03 PST 2015

I strongly recommend all AB members watch this talk from ELCE in Dublin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-M0gkpuWb4&index=42&list=PLGeM09tlguZTP9-9nMQNGiT_2PPFay0Cs

This is an interesting effort to develop an embedded Linux distro unsing
openEmbedded + a layer called meta-debian. Meta-debian scrapes patches
from Debian and generates an embedded Linux distro based on this.

Their idea is they can use a Debian LTS release to have suport for 5
years. However their stated goal is 10 years support. It is entirely
unclear to me how this will work.

I haven't heard of anyone in OpenEmebdded who has been approached by
this team to see if we have a better suggestion. My understanding is
they haven't talked to Debian about 10 years of support.

I have heard concerns from various people community who are very
concerned about the direction this project is taking. Basically, it is
an interesting idea, but people are concerned how they will support it
and what happens when Debian stops maintaining their patches at five years.

What do people on the advisory board think?

Philip