[yocto-ab] Yocto Project: OpenHub page

Jeffrey Osier-Mixon jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Mon Jan 19 16:23:13 PST 2015

I know many of you need to look for facts about YP to justify expenses
and personnel commitments.

Project Information

Black Duck sponsors a project called OpenHub that collects and curates
this kind of data. (This used to be called Ohloh.) The YP page on
OpenHub is here:  https://www.openhub.net/p/YoctoProject

It contains a great deal of information gleaned from our git server:

In a Nutshell, Yocto Project......
has had 60,275 commits made by 559 contributors
representing 267,916 lines of code
is mostly written in Python
with an average number of source code comments
has a well established, mature codebase
maintained by a very large development team
with stable Y-O-Y commits
took an estimated 69 years of effort (COCOMO model)
starting with its first commit in August, 2005
ending with its most recent commit 11 days ago
In particular, the Factoids page is very interesting:

https://www.openhub.net/p/YoctoProject/factoids

For example:

Over the past twelve months, 281 developers contributed new code to
Yocto Project. This is one of the largest open-source teams in the
world, and is in the top 2% of all project teams on Open Hub.

Community Information

In a nutshell, the YP community grew substantially in the last year:

- 67% average growth on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+,
YouTube, Vimeo)
- 42% growth on mailing lists (over 1000 unique subscribers over 27
mailing lists)
- 100% growth in website traffic (1.6M unique pageviews)
- 50% growth (110-130 attendees) at the annual YP BoF at Embedded Linux
Conferences

If you need more specific numbers about the Yocto Project community,
please let me know, as I track this information separately.