[yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board VOTE: Javier Garcia-Lasheras, YP Participant

Cobbley, David A david.a.cobbley at intel.com
Tue Nov 11 08:28:12 PST 2014

Yes

From: Jeffrey Osier-Mixon <jefro at jefro.net<mailto:jefro at jefro.net>>
Date: Monday, November 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM
To: "yocto-ab at yoctoproject.org<mailto:yocto-ab at yoctoproject.org>" <yocto-ab at yoctoproject.org<mailto:yocto-ab at yoctoproject.org>>
Subject: [yocto-ab] YP Advisory Board VOTE: Javier Garcia-Lasheras, YP Participant

Javier Garcia-Lasheras is restructuring his consulting business around YP, but more than that, he is also issuing a YP layer supporting the open hardware repo at CERN called White Rabbit that provides ultra-high accuracy and precision in distributed systems. This system is used in CERN's Large Hadron Collider as well as at several other major scientific labs.

Personally I think that spells AWESOME.

Please vote yes/no for Javier as YP Participant.

Javier himself: http://www.garcialasheras.com/

White Rabbit layer: http://www.ohwr.org/projects/white-rabbit/wiki

More info from Javi:

Here you have the "meta-spec" layer, hosted on CERN's OHR repository:
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/meta-spec/wiki

NOTE: I've requested to OpenEmbedded.org the inclusion of "meta-spec" into the public layer index. It's under revision right now.

The meta-spec layer provides Simple PCIe FMC Carrier (SPEC) support to x86 and x86-64 machines. If you are curious about the work we are doing on Open Hardware at CERN, take a look to the included links -- White Rabbit & SPEC are important concepts ;-)

The White Rabbit and the SPEC board are being used to synchronize the biggest experimental physics deployments, such as LHC, FAIR... so this layer is aimed to bring Yocto Project to the experimental physics community. Here you have the WhiteRabbit and SPEC user list:
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/white-rabbit/wiki/WRUsers

In addition, the SPEC carrier includes a reprogrammable FPGA. In this version, the bitstream binaries are handled as an already synthesized binary file. I'm currently working as the project manager for the CERN's HDLMake toolchain.

HDLMake is a Python tool that CERN uses to perform automated synthesis and simulation from command line. Something similar to Yocto Project, but this case in the "gateware" reign (VHDL, Verilog...).
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/hdl-make/wiki

I would like to include FPGA bitstream synthesis support in the meta-spec layer by using HDLMake. In this way, I believe this would be a nice experimental experience with the potential of providing new reconfigurable-hardware features to Yocto Project.

The reason I believe the "Yocto Project Participant" consideration would be nice, It's because this would give more confidence to my Yocto Project usage proposal inside the OHR community... but let's see what happens!

Best regards and thank you very much!